Turn on Silicone baking sheet on any day of the week and you will soon encounter amateur and professional chefs around the world grinding, stirring and seasoning on ratings winners like America's Test Kitchen, The Great British Bake Away and MasterChef: Australia.
Interest in cookery has soared and so, consequently, have earnings of kitchenware. Silicone products, in particular, have seen a massive rise. Watch any chef on TV and it won't be long until you see him or her creating an excellent dish with the help of silicone baking pans, sheets and mats, spatulas and molds.
With popular TV shows boosting silicone kitchenware, it's not surprising that home cooks are currently buying these goods in ever-increasing amounts.
But what is it about this product that is fast which makes it a must-have in the kitchen?
1. Silicone is a non-stick material, meaning that meals will not get baked on. Silicone baking mats can be used on top of baking sheets and cookie sheets, or within baking pans, which makes your non-silicone bake-ware completely non.
2. Silicone can handle heat and cold. Whether or not you want to store food in the freezer or cook in the oven, silicone is ideal for the job.
3. Silicone conducts heat very gradually, so utensils remain cool even in a hot saucepan and kitchen tops and surfaces won't suffer burn marks. When silicone mats have been created to add fibreglass mesh they provide an even heat transfer, the fibreglass mesh and silicone operate together to enhance even baking and browning.
4. Silicone does not degrade over time and won't rust or stain. If made from premium excellent silicone your bake-ware may be used thousands of times.
5. Silicone is very flexible so it can be squeezed or folded into tight storage spaces. This also makes the elimination of cakes and desserts out of silicone bake-ware very simple.
6. Silicone is a soft material and its utensils won't scratch or hurt non-stick pans.
7. A silicone baking mat can be used more than 2000 times so there's absolutely no need to purchase parchment paper and other disposable linings/sheets. The environment will thank you!
Now that we have established the many reasons why silicone is indeed popular let us look at the safety problem - saline is man made after all and for food preparation purposes it's going to be used for making something that you will put in your mouth!